The Kindergarten mission is to prioritize the strengthening of the capabilities of the families and the children themselves in order to achieve the formation of better generations within a framework of sound principles and values by developing actions aimed at the fulfilment of their rights in order to achieve a more just and human society.
The kindergarten has an average of 140 to 160 children that are from single parent households or from families of extreme poverty. The Kindergarten runs well because of the continuous effort and time given by all the teachers and the volunteers.
As a volunteer you will have the unique experience of working intimately with a new culture, and will surely develop close relationships with the children and the teachers. The work in the Kindergarten is enjoyable, though also a bit tiring at times. Some daily talks include making sure the children wash their hands, keeping an eye that they don’t start fighting, entertaining them with any special skills you have, and playing with them at break time.
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: March through December. Two week winter vacation in mid July.
- Requirements: Basic Spanish or Spanish lessons locally
- Program donation: US$50 payable with the program fees.
- Arrival airport: Via Lima to Arequipa (AQP)
- Accommodation: Local host family
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Airlines: Via Lima to Arequipa. Lan Peru, Peruvian, Taca (Avianca) , LCPeru
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Arequipa
- Airport meet and greet in Arequipa. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 25 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing and afternoons free to explore the city
- Typical shift work hours are 9 am – 2 pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Peru. Entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet