For many people in Costa Rica basic dental health needs are unaffordable. Local people rely on public clinics (not private expensive care) for their dental needs. As you can imagine the number of patients can outweigh the means of the local dental staff. Our volunteers, those interested or currently enrolled in dental school, are welcome to volunteer in one of these public clinics. Not only is this is great hands on learning experience, you will be helping the local dental staff with their overworked schedules.
General Tasks & Main Responsibilities:
- Shadow the doctor on his/her daily work.
- Help in the cleaning of the clinic.
- Help cleaning and organizing the instruments.
- Help the doctor/secretary with the appointments.
- Depending on volunteer’s training, assisting the doctor when he/she is with the patients.
ONLY Friday, Saturday or Sunday arrival: flight must arrive before 8pm (no exceptions) to San Jose. The orientation is same or next day.
Volunteer Opportunities: Pre Dental Clinics
- Project length: From 1 week to 6 weeks.
- Arrival Airport: San Jose (SJO) Juan Santamaría International Airport.
- Work Schedule: Monday to Fridays. Minimum 5 hours per day.
- Requirements: White scrubs, Intermediate Spanish, or take Spanish lessons while in country. Independent bus ride to/from project site.
- Age Limits: Minimum 18 years or older for solo travelers.
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, US Airways, Copa, Taca, Avianca, Spirit Airways.
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov/
- Accommodation: Host Families.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included.
- Laundry: Free once a week.
- Internet: available in some host families and projects
- Arrival: Airport (SJO) meet and greet by ABV Staff and Airport transfer on arrival to San Jose
- Orientation: Orientation upon arrival.
- Support: Full time in-country ABV Coordinator. 24/7 emergency contact number.
- Departure: Transfer back to the airport at the end of the program.
- Flights. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Internet (Only available in some host families and projects). Any extra activities and excursions or tours not described on the planned itinerary.
|Central America / US$|
The volunteer prices and the immersion prices are not combined, you choose from one or the other price.
|Central America / US$|
|Costa Rica - Spanish Immersion||1070||1375||1685||1995|
Any extra week of “accommodation and meals” will be US$150/week after week 4 until week 6, more Spanish lessons can be paid locally to the coordinator.
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.