In Colombia it is normal for families to look after their disable children in their own homes, they never have the opportunity to go to school or have employment and their families struggle a lot to find funds to pay for them to have their special needs and education met.
Volunteer at this Day Care center which supports the learning development of children and adults with special needs. This is the only center of its kind in La Mesa and strives to support hundreds of people in the community. Volunteers will help the local staff with special education classes such as sensory space management, fine motor skills, speech therapy, reading comprehension, text interpretation, hearing skills, as well as writing skills.
Volunteers are also needed to support the team with cultural activities, art, craft, sports (swimming, athletics, and dance), gardening, music, and English lessons. Due to the lack of adequate number of staff, volunteers for this project will need to be pro-active, willing to work with limited direction, and come with a can-do enthusiastic attitude, volunteers will need to bring with them material for this purpose. ABV Coordinators will help with direction and suggestions, but this program needs enthusiastic participants.
Volunteer Opportunities: Colombia, La Mesa Programs
- Project Duration: From 1 week up to 8 weeks
- Project Dates: Year Round. Arrival/Departures weekends
- Arrival airport: El Dorado, Bogota City Airport (BOG)
- Requirements: Basic Spanish
- Accommodations: Local Host Family
- Meals: Week 3 meals, 2 meals Saturday, no meals Sunday
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, Spirit, Avianca, Taca, Air France, Iberia.
- Immunizations: Routine Vac, Hep - A and typhoid www.nc.cdc.gov
- Orientation: Project Overview On-Site
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday. 30-40 hours a week
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7.
- Departure: Transfer to El Dorado Airport Bogota.
- Flights to Colombia. Roundtrip transfer cost from airport to project location. Visa and/or airport entry fees and exit. Vaccinations. Local Transport. Travel & Medical Insurance. Laundry and internet connection.
|South America / US$|
|Colombia - Spanish Immersion||995||1290||1530||1790|
Any extra week of “accommodation and meals” will be US$150/week after week 4 until week 12, more Spanish lessons can be paid locally to the coordinator.
|South America / US$|
The volunteer prices and the immersion prices are not combined, you choose from one or the other price.
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.