Are you interested in volunteering your time to help families put food on the table? Volunteers will gain knowledge and develop a range of skills in connecting families, seniors and other low-income individuals with the food assistance they need. Homeless people and struggling families can find shelter, a warm meal and friendly faces in soup kitchens
Volunteers are needed and welcome at a community dining room is located in the shanty town Cerrillos Villa in the North Side of Arequipa. This community dining room is responsible for providing a balanced dietary supplemental meal to the children that attends the school. The community dining room has been running for nine years and is operated by the mothers of the students of the school. Currently, this service benefits 585 students.
Volunteers will help in the kitchen, serve meals, cleaning off the tables, dish washing and cleaning. All volunteers at soup kitchens make a difference in somebody's life. Volunteering in a soup kitchen is rewarding not only because you get to meet great people, but because you can see the satisfaction on people's faces when they take a bite out of a warm meal.
*Imp: The transportation in not included to the program. The transportation (round trip) cost is around US$1 by bus or US$14 by taxi can be divided between 2 - 3 volunteers (30 min ride approx 5 miles).
(***Arrival to Arequipa must be done between 7am and 7pm local time***)
- Project length: From 1 weeks to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year round
- Arrival airport: Arequipa (AQP)
- Accommodation: Local host family
- Requirements: Basic Spanish
- Program donation: US$50 payable with the program fees.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Airlines: Lan Peru, Taca (Avianca), Peruvian, LCPeru
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Arequipa.
- Airport meet and greet in Arequipa. Next day city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday 20 hours per week in the dining children hall.
- Weekends free to sightseeing and afternoons free to explore the city
- Typical shift work hours are 9 am-1 pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Peru. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet
|South America / US$|
|Peru - Spanish Immersion||1070||1375||1735||1895|
Any extra week of “accommodation and meals” will be US$150/week after week 4 until week 12, more Spanish lessons can be paid locally to the coordinator.
|South America / US$|
The volunteer prices and the immersion prices are not combined, you choose from one or the other price.
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.