A soup kitchen is an establishment which offers free meals to the needy. In Ayacuho alone there are 10 such establishments.
Most of the daily visitors are elderly, homeless and small school children. Volunteer will help prepare, and cook meals. Volunteers will help to set up tables, serving meals, cleaning off the tables, dish washing, cleaning floors and taking care of the garbage.
Volunteers also help the school kids with their homework, as well as teach informal English lessons to the staff and visitors. Spanish speakers are preferred. Language Immersion lessons can be taken in the afternoon.
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year round. Choose any day to arrive
- Requirements: Basic Spanish
- Program donation: US$50 payable with the program fees.
- Arrival airport: Via Lima to Ayacucho (AYA)
- Accommodation: Local host family
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Airlines: Lan Peru, Start Perú, LC Perú
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Ayacucho
- Airport meet and greet in Ayacucho. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 25 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing and afternoons free to explore the city
- Typical shift work hours are 8am - 01pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Peru. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet. Tours to Cusco, to the Nazca Lines, to the Apurimac Valley (Coca Valley or Upper Amazon Forest) to the Wari Ruins and the Quinua Village