Located in Ormuc city, volunteer at a shelter/rehabilitation center for street kids and disadvantaged youth. Most children who have settled on the streets have families of their own but turn to the streets in search of food. Glue sniffing, known as "rugby" is a common addiction amongst the street children who turn to this drug to suppress their hunger pains.
Volunteers can assist the social welfare office in helping to give the simple things these children lack in life, such as compassion, trust, love, education and food. This project aims to take these youth off the streets by training them to be self-reliant or self-employed through education, support and counseling. The project addresses social and physical issues affecting youth, such as gender, reproductive health, and drug abuse through counseling and education. Volunteers help initiate talks about the existence of HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted infections.
Experience working with youth, street kids, or studies in social work are a plus.
- Project length: From 1 week to 8 weeks
- Project dates: Year round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Tacloban City (TAC)
- Accommodation: Host Family
- Meals: Breakfast and dinner daily
- Program starts and ends in Tacloban City.
- Airport meet and greet in Tacloban City. City tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Philippines Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.