Volunteer in Tanzania, The Foundation currently has 180 children from the ages of 3 to 7 yrs attending school six days a week. There are 7 teachers at the kindergarten. The orphanage is firmly committed to education and have recently completed a classroom and hired a managing teacher to fulfill this goal. There are currently orphans and also location children’s attend the kindergarten. School is closed for public holidays and Sundays. If you arrive in the program and school is closed you will volunteer at the orphanage. Volunteers should plan to stay 2 weeks or longer, and asked to have basic knowledge of Swahili.
Program Closed: December 25 to January 1st (you can do the orphanage program that week)
*Volunteers need a Tourist Visa to enter Tanzania (US$100) as of 2017 you can get it at the Tanzania airport. *Once in the country all volunteers must apply for a “Volunteer Permit” is US$250. All participants in the Tanzania program must secure a permit to volunteer.
Volunteer Opportunities: School Programs
- Project length: From 2 weeks to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Kilimanjaro (Code: JRO)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist Visa and Volunteer Permit
- Age Limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: KLM, Delta, Emirates, Ethiopian and Qatar
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Malaria, Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Moshi (JRO airport)
- Airport meet and greet. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 7am to 3pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Accommodation: Local hostel in Moshi. Shared rooms/bathrooms
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch box and dinner daily
- Flights to Tanzania. Entry Visa. Volunteer Permit. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet. Swahili lessons (US$8 per hour)