The Foundation currently has 180 children from the ages of 3 to 7 yrs attending school six days a week. There are 7 teachers at the kindergarten. The orphanage is firmly committed to education and have recently completed a classroom and hired a managing teacher to fulfill this goal. There are currently orphans and also location children’s attend the kindergarten. School is closed for public holidays and Sundays. If you arrive in the program and school is closed you will volunteer at the orphanage. Volunteers should plan to stay 2 weeks or longer, and asked to have basic knowledge of Swahili.
Program Closed: December 25 to January 1st (you can do the orphanage program that week)
*Volunteers need a Tourist Visa to enter Tanzania (US$100) as of 2016 you can get it at the Tanzania airport. *Once in the country all volunteers must apply for a “Volunteer Permit” is US$250. All participants in the Tanzania program must secure a permit to volunteer.
Volunteer Opportunities: School Programs
- Project length: From 2 weeks to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Kilimanjaro (Code: JRO)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist Visa and Volunteer Permit
- Age Limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: KLM, Delta, Emirates, Ethiopian and Qatar
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Malaria, Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Moshi (JRO airport)
- Airport meet and greet. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 7am to 3pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Accommodation: Local hostel in Moshi. Shared rooms/bathrooms
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch box and dinner daily
- Flights to Tanzania. Entry Visa. Volunteer Permit. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet. Swahili lessons (US$8 per hour)
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.