In Nicaragua there is a growing need for native English speakers to help students become a part of the growing hospitality industry. Volunteers are welcome at a local school which offers pre-school and primary school classes. Elementary education is free and compulsory although this is not strictly enforced and many children are not able to attend due to their families need to have them work. These areas are very poor, and the schools lack native English-speaking volunteers.
There are morning classes and also afternoon classes. Morning classes have about 380 primary school age children, and 25 pre-schoolers. In the afternoon there are 187 primary students and 60 pre-schoolers in attendance. In this program, volunteers will help children learn the correct use of English words and master English grammar. A typical class averages about 30-35 students.
You must be able to communicate in Spanish, and be comfortable in front of a classroom. Volunteers can lead lessons, or work with the teacher in a tutoring role. Teaching aid like flash cards, classroom supplies, literacy resources are welcome and needed. This program can also be combined with the Language and Cultural Immersion program
Program Closed: December 10th to February 15th (Vacations)
Holy Week: April 14th to 20th, July 7th to 14th (Vacation)
- Project Length: From 1 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Managua (Code: MGA)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Requirements: Advance Spanish
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 17 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, Spirit, Taca
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: Host Family
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport meet and Greet (Volunteer pays for taxi to Granada US$45)
- Orientation: Project Overview On-Site
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: Airport Transfer (Volunteer pays for taxi to Managua Airport US$45)
- Flights to Nicaragua. Taxi airport Managua-Granada-Managua. Entry Visa (US$35). Departure taxes, some airlines include this fee in the airfare. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet.
|Central America /US$|
|Nicaragua - Spanish Immersion||995||1290||1530||1790|
Any extra week of “accommodation and meals” will be US$150/week after week 4 until week 8, more Spanish lessons can be paid locally to the coordinator.
|Central America / US$|
The volunteer prices and the immersion prices are not combined, you choose from one or the other price.
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.