The school is located in a poor area on the outskirts of Arequipa, at the foot of the Chachani volcano. In this area the streets are not paved, and there is no potable water in the houses. The roofs are made of corrugated iron.
Education is the key instrument needed for a better life for people all over the world. Our teaching projects provide volunteers hands on experience in a classroom setting. English teaching assistants will work closely with local teachers, developing lesson plans, providing one on one tutoring, and correcting grammer.
Volunteers learn firsthand about the educational system in Peru. Volunteer work consists of supporting teachers in classes and playing with and doing activities with the children. Many volunteers also help in the administrative office
Expect to work side by side the local teacher in primary or high school, but sometimes you will leave alone, so your initiative and confidence are really important. English lessons will focus on grammar, proper pronunciation and basic spelling. You will also plan and organize after school activities like sports, theater, soccer, music, arts, etc. Intermediate Basic Spanish speaking is required to work in the school. Language Immersion lessons can be arranged in the afternoon.
*Imp: The transportation in not included to the program. The transportation (round trip) cost is around US$1 by bus or US$14 by taxi can be divided between 2 - 3 volunteers (40 min ride approx 7 miles).
(***Arrival to Arequipa must be done between 7am and 7pm local time***)
- Project length: From 1 weeks to 12 weeks
- Project dates: March through mid December, 2 week winter break in mid July
- Arrival airport: Arequipa (AQP)
- Accommodation: Local host family
- Requirements: Basic Spanish or Spanish Immersion in country
- Program donation: US$50 payable with the program fees.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Airlines: Lan Peru, Taca (Avianca), Peruvian, LCPeru
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Arequipa.
- Airport meet and greet in Arequipa. Next day city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 30 hours per week.
- Weekends free to sightseeing and afternoons free to explore the city
- Typical shift work hours are 8 am -2 pm and 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Peru. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet
|South America / US$|
|Peru - Spanish Immersion||1070||1375||1735||1895|
Any extra week of “accommodation and meals” will be US$150/week after week 4 until week 12, more Spanish lessons can be paid locally to the coordinator.
|South America / US$|
The volunteer prices and the immersion prices are not combined, you choose from one or the other price.
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.