Welcome to the beautiful city of Arequipa, the White city of Peru. It’s called the ‘white city’ because its historic buildings are made from ‘ashlar’ which is a volcanic rock, and can be seen in all the churches, houses, streets and alleys of the historic centre of the city. The city is located at an altitude of 2.325 meters above sea level; and is built at the base of three beautiful volcanos: Misti, Chachani and Pichu Pichu, Quechan words meaning Mr, colorful.
Misti is like a symbol for the city, and it’s possible to go up to the top of this volcano where you can appreciate all of the city and even the Pacific Ocean.
Arequipa is considered an emerging city, meaning that a lot of families of the rural areas of the country choose it as their destination to improve their life conditions and get out of poverty. These families settle on the outskirts of the city, and are called ‘Young People’.
Through our volunteer programs, not only do you contribute to bettering the lives of these people, mainly their most vulnerable members, women, children and the elderly, but also the retribution and personal satisfaction that you get in exchange will be grand, it will enrich your life and change your way of thinking, feeling and acting in a positive way.
We invite you to take on this social commitment and enjoy Arequipa, with its radiant sun, it’s amazing gastronomy, visit its traditional towns and of course become acquainted with the tourist attractions like the Cathedral in the main square, the Santa Catalina Monastery, Colca Canyon, Titicaca Lake and the islands.
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Arrival airport: to Arequipa (AQP) via Lima connection.
- Work schedule: Monday to Friday 6 to 8 hours per day
- Requirements: Basic in Spanish or Spanish Immersion Lessons
- Age limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: Lan Peru, American, Delta, Spirit, Copa, Taca, Iberia
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: Middle Class Host Family
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet by ABV Staff
- Orientation: Project Overview and Arequipa Orientation
- Support: Pre-departure helpdesk, Local Coordinator and 24hr emergency support
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfe
- Flights to Peru. Entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet