Imagine volunteering in a clinic, school or orphanage during the week, and then visiting Machu Pichu or Nasca Lines on the weekend?
Visiting Ayacucho is like stepping back in time. The pedestrian friendly city center is filled with cobblestones streets, old colonial homes, and churches. The city has an abundance of small churches, and relish in their rich cultural heritage of their Andean ancestors. Due to its important strategic location, between Lima and Cusco, Ayacucho was one of the most important cities during the Spanish colonial era.
Ayacucho is one of the poorest regions in Peru with an overall poverty rate of 68.3 per cent, and nine in ten household living in poverty in rural areas. Some of the reasons for this are the lack of agricultural land, financing and knowledge about commercialization, insufficient access to formal work for low-income families and limited development of micro-enterprises.
A Broader View Volunteers Abroad Gap Year Projects Overseas
Volunteer programs focus on mental and physical health needs, education and social welfare projects.
Volunteering in Peru, being part of a working overseas humanitarian project allows you the change to give back while visiting this beautiful country.
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year round. *Some projects have a specified time frame
- Requirements: Basic Spanish
- Arrival airport: Ayacucho (AYA) via Lima connection
- Accommodation: Local host family
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Airlines: Lima to Ayacucho: Lan Peru, Start Perú, LC Perú
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Ayacucho
- Airport meet and greet in Ayacucho. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 25 to 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing and afternoons free to explore the city
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Peru. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet. Tours to Cusco, Nazca Lines, Machu Pichu, to the Apurimac Valley Village