The capital of Leyte province, Tacloban City is in the eastern Visayas over 350 miles from Manila. The city is located on the Cancabato Bay, which divides the island of Leyte and Samar.
The climate is consistently hot and wet throughout the year, and on average May is the warmest month. This area is known for its historical significance to the Second World War, as well as for natural ecological beauty.
This is a primarily Waray speaking city with a large population of Roman Catholics.
Because of the growing economy Tacloban has a relatively low poverty rate compared to other parts of the country. However there is a lot of disparage between the classes. Many people, mostly children live in constant hunger, with limited resources and need assistance from the projects our volunteer support.
- Project length: From 1 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Tacloban (Code: TAC)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Requirements:Tourist Visa
- Age Limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parent
- Accommodation: Host Families
- Meals: Breakfast and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet by ABV Staff
- Orientation: Project Overview and Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.