Undergraduate students (medical/nursing/public health) are welcome to join our health related project in Quito.
This local facility provides services to impoverished families/children. The center's mission is to provide medical attention to both children and adults with all types of acute illnesses, chronic diseases and rehabilitation therapies for children with special needs. There is a day care center for babies and toddlers, rehabilitation services for children with Down's, cerebral palsy and other disabilities, as well as health checks and treatment.
Volunteers assist administrative needs, engage the children in rehabilitation games, physical therapy support, language instruction, early stimulation techniques and support the medical staff with general medicine checkups.
- Proficiency in Spanish is required for all healthcare placement. This project can be combined with our Language and Cultural Immersion.
- 2-3 White scrubs required (can buy in the hospital US$35-40), white comfortable shoes or white sneakers and bring basic tools as: oximeter, stethoscope, strip thermometer, gloves, mask, cleaning blue & red pens.
- US$100 Hospital fee paid with your program cost (1 to 6 weeks program). This will help buy supplies for the hospital.
- US$200 Hospital Fee paid with your program cost (7 to 12 weeks Program)
Volunteer Premedical Opportunities
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Quito (UIO)
- Accommodation: Local host family
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Airlines: Lan Ecuador, American, United, Delta, Avianca, Taca
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Quito
- Airport meet and greet in Quito. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Quito. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet