Volunteers with professional credentials, or those currently enrolled in medical/nursing school are welcome at a busy health clinic in Moshi. The clinic is located within walking distance of the volunteer accommodations. Here, patient count can vary averaging about 100 per day. Since this center lack modern facilities and has limited staff this is a challenging placement and a great learning environment. The clinic has about 12 full time workers including clinicians, nurses and medical attendants. Volunteer hours between 8:00am-6:00pm daily.
In the out patient department the most common diseases are malaria, fever, STD's, respiratory infections, and urinary infections. The clinic also provides services of family planning, reproductive health, vaccinations as well as HIV voluntary counseling and testing, Lab and pharmacy. Volunteers may be involved with giving vaccinations, taking blood samples, assisting in deliveries and in providing health checks. Home visits may be part of the volunteer experience also.
* Green or white medical scrubs are required, or white lab jacket for daily use. Having basic knowledge of Swahili is recommended for all medical placements.
**Volunteers need a Tourist Visa to enter Tanzania (US$100) as of 2016 you can get it at the Tanzania airport. *Once in the country all volunteers must apply for a “Volunteer Permit” is US$250. All participants in the Tanzania program must secure a permit to volunteer.
Volunteer Opportunities: Health Care Programs
- Project length: From 2 weeks to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Kilimanjaro (Code: JRO)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 6 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist Visa and Volunteer Permit. Hospital fee of $70
- Age Limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: KLM, Delta, Emirates, Ethiopian and Qatar
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Malaria, Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: Hostel in Moshi, shared accommodations/bath
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch box and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet by ABV Staff
- Orientation: Project Overview and Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Tanzania. Entry Visa. Volunteer Permit. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet. Swahili lessons (US$8 per hour)
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.