This orphanage is located in the picturesque Ba Vi province approximately 30 miles/50km outside of Hanoi. Ba Vi is a true delight with its mountain range complimented by the flat lands for the farming of rice and various other fruits and vegetables. Their rich fertile land provides the landscape with much flora and fauna and is a wonderland that the nature lover can get truly immersed in. Our staff will escort you from Hanoi to the project site, and also escort you back to Hanoi at the end of the program.
The centers not only cater for children but also for the homeless of Hanoi and those that are experiencing real difficulties in their lives. The main program is a large centre for children and young people with disabilities. It also has a number of older residents that have no family or no means of income, a proportion of these older residents also have disabilities. There is also a nursery for babies without disabilities. Volunteers can engage in a number of activities here including rehabilitation, if skilled enough, teaching English, art therapy, helping with caring and many physical activities if you would like to engage in them, such as gardening, painting, repairing, there is a major staff shortage here. There are approximately 320 people at the center and a few of the children attend the local school.
This center is our primary focus in Vietnam as we have yet to see one so needy, it has the capacity to break your heart, but also a far greater capacity to bring understanding and joy. The children have severe physical and intellectual disabilities but greet each day with a smile, something that you will carry with you when you leave and understand no matter our minor irritants, life is good for us, the center continually grounds you and gives you a far greater awareness, just open your mind a little.
Local guesthouse accommodations provided.
- Project length: From 2 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Hanoi (Code: HAN)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 5-8 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist Visa
- Age Limits: Minimum 18 yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents
- Airlines: United, Korean Air, China Airlines, Delyta, Qatar, Air France, Qantas
- Vaccinations: Typhoid and Hep A wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Hanoi
- Meals: 2 Meals a day (stipend)
- Airport meet and greet in Hanoi. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work 2-3 hours in morning and afternoon
- Support: Local ABV Coordinator support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Vietnam. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet
|Asia / US$|
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.