Volunteer Vietnam, The residential center cares for 320 children that have Cerebral Palsy, Brady Genesis & Mental Disabilities. Most of the children were left in hospitals and on the streets, 60% of the children here have cerebral palsy so many of them can’t walk or take care of themselves. There is simply not enough staff to care for the amount of children with such severe disabilities. On the day shift in each room there is usually 4 to 6 people taking care of 32 to 40 children on average. On night shift there is usually only 1 to 3 people working in each room.
Volunteers interested in a medical/nursing career are welcome at this center. Caretakers and volunteers feed the children, clean and take care of the children’s personal hygiene, teach the children to use utensils, use the toilets, change their clothing, and try to teach them self-reliant skills. Thanks to the staffs’ great efforts, the children and the rooms are clean and neat.
* This is a challenging yet rewarding program. Volunteers should be mentally prepared to work with special needs kids, help with therapy, and accept the children as they are. Most are orphans and crave and thrive on personal attention.
Activities: Volunteers would normally come to the centre between the hours of 8.00am – 10.30am and 2.00pm – 4.00pm. We would encourage ABV volunteers to go the extra mile and help with cooking and feeding time, this is emotionally difficult and is at the discretion of volunteers and management. Activities include playing and talking with the children, taking them to the playground area and generally just having fun with them, these beautiful children just need to know that someone cares. Volunteers may also help with rehabilitation; again this depends upon the volunteer’s skill level and the centre management approval.
- Project length: From 2 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Ho Chi Minh (code: SGN)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 5-8 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist Visa
- Age Limits: Minimum 18 yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Airlines: United, Korean Air, China Airlines, Delyta, Qatar, Air France, Qantas
- Vaccinations: Typhoid and Hep A wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Ho Chi Minh City
- Meals: 2 Meals a day (stipend)
- Airport meet and greet in HCMC airport. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work 2-3 hours in morning and afternoon
- Support: Local ABV Coordinator Support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet