The capital of the South West Province is located close to the Gulf of Guinea. Once a German capital colonial city, Buea still boasts a handful of colonial era buildings, and architecture. Today Buea is the provincial capital of Cameroon and a university town. It is the only Cameroon provincial capital that is still considered a rural town mainly because it still lacks the socio-economic development of other areas.
Buea sits on the eastern slopes of Mount Cameroon, the highest mountain in west and central Africa. Every February thousands of people (and tourists) gather for the famous Mount Cameroon Race of Hope (ascending and descending the mountain)
The warm climate, close proximately to the beach and hospitable people make Buea and south west Cameroon a wonderful place to live and volunteer.
This is an English speaking area, although French is also widely spoken in Cameroon. We ask for afternoon arrivals since it is several hours ride from Douala airport to Buea.
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Douala (DLA)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Requirements: Visa. Yellow Fever vaccination
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers
- Airlines: Brussels Air, Royal Air Maroc, Delta, AirFrance
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Typhoid, Malaria Medication, Hep A-B wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: Shared volunteer house
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet by ABV Staff
- Orientation: Project Overview and Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Cameroon. Entry Visa. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet