Volunteer Guatemala, Alotenango is a town of about 16,000 inhabitants in Guatemala’s central highlands, approximately 10 km (6 miles) from Antigua. Roughly 70 percent of the town’s inhabitants are indigenous. The local economy is mostly based on agriculture and 35 percent of the population is estimated to be illiterate. Many families in Alotenango live below the poverty line and particularly the children suffer from poor living conditions and lack of adequate education and healthcare.
Medical volunteers are welcome in Guatemala. Our medical and nursing student volunteer in the local community health center in this town.
Volunteer Projects in Guatemala Alotenango
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Guatemala City (GUA)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 6-7 hours per day
- Requirements: Proficiency in Spanish or Spanish Immersion Lessons
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 17 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Accommodation: Host Family
- Meals: 3 per day M-F, 2 meals Saturday, no meals Sunday
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet by ABV Staff
- Orientation: Project Overview and Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Guatemala. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations.Local Transportation. Travel Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet