Our volunteer projects are based within the Eastern Province, outside the city of Rwamagana. which is located about one hour from Kigali, the capital city. Rwamagana is a typically city with large market set up, a bank, petrol station, bus stations, post office, church, and small hotel and restaurants. Our program is located about 3 miles outside of the city (but still close!)
Local Host family. English/French speaking, located near the town of Rwamagana. Private bedroom, breakfast and dinner daily (Lunch at project). Expect basic village life, safe community, internet nearby and local shops, some homes do not have indoor plumbing. This option requires volunteer to commute by local minibus to the school each day. Cost is less than $1 per day, round trip, and journey is about 3 miles.
On-site at the school dormitory. Private bedroom, with a lock. 3 local meals provided daily at the school with the children. Expect basic village life - a safe community, no indoor plumbing. Some access to electricity is available at the school, but not at the accommodation. This option is a rural setting away from town without evening entertainment. Some staff stay overnight at school and you will also have the boarding students for company, although their level of English is not generally good enough to allow for conversation. The facility is secure with a night watch man, even though this is a remote location.
- Project length: 1 week to 8 weeks
· First term starts on 6th January ends 5th April,
· Second term starts on 28th April ends 3rd July
· Third term starts on 11th August ends 25th Oct
- Arrival Airport: Kigali (Code: KGL)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Requirements: Teaching experience preferred. Enthusiasm a must!
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Airlines: KLM, Delta, Qatar Air, Ethiopian
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Malaria, Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: Host Family or On Site Dorm Room
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet by ABV Staff
- Orientation: Project Overview and Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Rwanda. Entry Visa. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.