Volunteer Kenya, Our volunteer projects are based within the Eastern Province, outside the city of Rwamagana. which is located about one hour from Kigali, the capital city. Rwamagana is a typically city with large market set up, a bank, petrol station, bus stations, post office, church, and small hotel and restaurants. Our program is located about 3 miles outside of the city (but still close!)
Local Host family. English/French speaking, located near the town of Rwamagana. Private bedroom, breakfast and dinner daily (Lunch at project). Expect basic village life, safe community, internet nearby and local shops, some homes do not have indoor plumbing. This option requires volunteer to commute by local minibus to the school each day. Cost is less than $1 per day, round trip, and journey is about 3 miles.
On-site at the school dormitory. Private bedroom, with a lock. 3 local meals provided daily at the school with the children. Expect basic village life - a safe community, no indoor plumbing. Some access to electricity is available at the school, but not at the accommodation. This option is a rural setting away from town without evening entertainment. Some staff stay overnight at school and you will also have the boarding students for company, although their level of English is not generally good enough to allow for conversation. The facility is secure with a night watch man, even though this is a remote location.
Volunteering Projects in Rwanda Rwamagana
- Project length: 1 week to 8 weeks
- Program Schedule:
· First term starts on 6th January ends 5th April,
· Second term starts on 28th April ends 3rd July
· Third term starts on 11th August ends 25th Oct
- Arrival Airport: Kigali (Code: KGL)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Requirements: Teaching experience preferred. Enthusiasm a must!
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Airlines: KLM, Delta, Qatar Air, Ethiopian
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Malaria, Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: Host Family or On Site Dorm Room
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet by ABV Staff
- Orientation: Project Overview and Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Rwanda. Entry Visa. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet