Volunteers have the opportunity to make a lasting difference in this rural community school. Our program combines teaching small kids in pre-school level and also with other children/youth in secondary level vocational training.
1) Pre-School: The school is providing free care and education for disadvantaged children between the ages of 3 and 6 years. There are about 50 children being provided education and also food each day. Classes including constructive play time, and classroom learning reading, writing, shapes, colors, numbers and social harmony. Lessons are taught in Kinyarwanda (language) and children are also taught some basic English (where our volunteers come in handy!) This school operates weekday mornings.
2) Vocational / Secondary: The center offers schooling and boarding facilities for poor and disadvantaged teens and youth in the community. There are dormitories for boys and girls, and typically 80 full time students at any time. Subject focus: Tailoring, mechanics, welding and construction. As well as vocational training, subjects taught include English and French lessons, and social education (HIV/AIDS and other health issues, hygiene and nutrition) Volunteers would focus on improving English of the students (16-21yrs old) through assisting with or teaching the English syllabus.
Volunteers are needed to lead classes, or assist the teachers in the class room. Volunteers can focus on individual children, or small groups to provide special attention and added support particularly in English lessons.
Volunteer Opportunities Rwanda Teaching Missions
- Project length: From 1 week to 8 weeks
· First term starts on 6th January ends 5th April,
· Second term starts on 28th April ends 3rd July
· Third term starts on 11th August ends 25th Oct
- Arrival Airport: Kigali (Code: KGL)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Requirements: Teaching experience preferred. Enthusiasm a must!
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Airlines: KLM, Delta, Qatar Air, Ethiopian
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Malaria, Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Airport meet and greet in Kigali airport
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical work hours are 7am - 12pm and 2pm-5pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Rwanda. Entry Visa. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet