Volunteer at a Children’s Home near Livingstone, Zambia. The Home provides residential care for orphans and vulnerable children who have no family to look after them. Most of them have been orphaned as a result of the AIDS pandemic, which affects about 30% of adults in Livingstone.
Most of the children are school age, between 5 to 10 years old. The only condition for admission is need of care. Volunteers help the full time ‘caretaker/mothers’ to look after the children. Volunteer will support the Home’s effort to provide a caring/homey atmosphere, encouraging the children to take part in chores and helping with homework and remedial teaching.
Volunteers are encouraged to help with English lessons, provide health talks, assist with meals time, and the daily chores and upkeep of the Home itself. Monday to Friday hours, weekends are free.
This is a great opportunity to support a community program, be immersed with a local host family
And visit a wonderful site of Victoria Falls on your free weekend.
Volunteer Opportunities: Orphanage program
- Project Length: From 1 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Livingstone (Code: LVI)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 6-8 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist/Volunteer Visa
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: Proflight Zambia, Etihad, SAA, British Air, KLM, Air France
- Vaccinations: Typhoid, Malaria Medication, Yellow Fever, Hep A wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Airport meet and greet in Livingstone airport
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 35-40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Host Family Accommodations. Including breakfast & dinner daily.
- Typical shift work vary day to day, Expect 6-7 hour work days
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: Airport Transfer to Livingstone Airport
- Flights to Zambia. Entry Visa. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet access
|Africa / US$|
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.