Volunteer Zambia at a Children’s Home near Livingstone, Zambia. The Home provides residential care for orphans and vulnerable children who have no family to look after them. Most of them have been orphaned as a result of the AIDS pandemic, which affects about 30% of adults in Livingstone.
Most of the children are school age, between 5 to 10 years old. The only condition for admission is need of care. Volunteers help the full time ‘caretaker/mothers’ to look after the children. Volunteer will support the Home’s effort to provide a caring/homey atmosphere, encouraging the children to take part in chores and helping with homework and remedial teaching.
Volunteers are encouraged to help with English lessons, provide health talks, assist with meals time, and the daily chores and upkeep of the Home itself. Monday to Friday hours, weekends are free.
This is a great opportunity to support a community program, be immersed with a local host family and visit a wonderful site of Victoria Falls on your free weekend.
Volunteer Opportunities: Orphanage program
- Project Length: From 1 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Livingstone (Code: LVI)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 6-8 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist/Volunteer Visa
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: Proflight Zambia, Etihad, SAA, British Air, KLM, Air France
- Vaccinations: Typhoid, Malaria Medication, Hep A, Yellow Fever wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Airport meet and greet in Livingstone airport
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 35-40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Host Family Accommodations. Including breakfast & dinner daily.
- Typical shift work vary day to day, Expect 6-7 hour work days
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: Airport Transfer to Livingstone Airport
- Flights to Zambia. Entry Visa. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet access