This educational center provides education to people with a visual and hearing handicap. The center offers pre-primary and primary education in classrooms until 6th grade. There is also a special education classroom. The center accommodates a total of 140 children.
The deaf children come to school every day, and the blind children come as much as they need. They have a specific program that´s different from the deaf children.
Most volunteers involve in the special education department. But also the classrooms for the smaller grades are open for volunteers. Sign language will help you in the program.
Volunteers work as classroom assistants, taking care of the children, make class material, help with the classes and homework. A 10 min bus ride and a 10 min walk is required (each day US$1 a day transportation).
Summer vacation: End of October to 2nd week of January)
Last week of June
Guatemala Volunteer Opportunities
- Project length: From 3 to 12 weeks
- Arrival airport: Guatemala City (GUA)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 5-6 hours per day
- Requirements: Proficiency in Spanish or Spanish Immersion Lessons
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, Spirit, Avianca, Taca
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: Middle Class Host Families
- Meals: 3 per day M-F, 2 meals Saturday, no meals Sunday
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet pickup
- Orientation: Project Overview and Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Guatemala. Entry fee. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet
|Central America / US$|
|Guatemala - Spanish Immersion||995||1290||1530||1790|
Any extra week of “accommodation and meals” will be US$150/week after week 4 until week 12, more Spanish lessons can be paid locally to the coordinator.
|Central America / US$|
The volunteer prices and the immersion prices are not combined, you choose from one or the other price.
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.