This educational center provides education to people with a visual and hearing handicap. The center offers pre-primary and primary education in classrooms until 6th grade. There is also a special education classroom. The center accommodates a total of 140 children.
The deaf children come to school every day, and the blind children come as much as they need. They have a specific program that´s different from the deaf children.
Most volunteers involve in the special education department. But also the classrooms for the smaller grades are open for volunteers. Sign language will help you in the program.
Volunteers work as classroom assistants, taking care of the children, make class material, help with the classes and homework. A 10 min bus ride and a 10 min walk is required (each day US$1 a day transportation).
Summer vacation: End of October to 2nd week of January)
Last week of June
Guatemala Volunteer Opportunities
- Project length: From 3 to 12 weeks
- Arrival airport: Guatemala City (GUA)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 5-6 hours per day
- Requirements: Proficiency in Spanish or Spanish Immersion Lessons
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, Spirit, Avianca, Taca
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: Middle Class Host Families
- Meals: 3 per day M-F, 2 meals Saturday, no meals Sunday
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet pickup
- Orientation: Project Overview and Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Guatemala. Entry fee. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet