Most children with “special needs” are neglected by society, or turned over to an orphanage. Volunteers with therapy training, or skills working with special needs children are welcome. The orphanage caters to mentally and physically disabled children. The level of illness varies from child to child but all need individual attention to grow and develop as a normal human being and to join the main stream of society.
This is a challenging project and volunteers need to be empathetic and show a lot of compassion. The main task is giving individual attention to kids and to monitor their progress. Other tasks involve helping in physiotherapy, music therapy, vocation training like sewing/tailoring, or simple tasks like feeding the kids who are unable to hold the spoons and food themselves.
*Imp: The transportation in not included to the program. The transportation cost is around US$2 - 4 a day by Tuk-tuk (motorcycle ride) can be divided between 2 - 3 volunteers (8km to 12km ride).
Volunteer Opportunities: Children Special Needs
- Project length: From 2 week to 8 weeks
- Project dates: Year round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Jaipur International Airport (JAI)
- Accommodation: Local host family/Shared volunteer House
- Meals: 3 per day (Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner)
- Airlines: Jet airways, Spice jet, Etihad, Indigo, Go Air, Air India etc.
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Jaipur City
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 25-35 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing, camel safari, elephant safari, Taj Mahal etc.
- Typical shift work can be: 8:30am - 1:30pm can extend till 3:30pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Pick-up from Jaipur Airport
- A detailed orientation about India, ABV projects, facts about India, cultural responsibility and things to remember in India
- Accommodation in ABV house (Dual/Tri sharing) or in ABV host family (Depends on the availability)
- All meals (Authentic Indian meals) Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner
- Project visit with supervisor
- Resource materials to use on project
- Weekly market visit to shop for your necessities
- One party & dinner out to experience the new India
- Sessions on India about the India in reality v/s India in news
- Airport drop at Jaipur airport
- Emergency support
- Air fare, Visa, Insurance, Local transportation, Vaccinations, local sightseeing and all personal expenses. Cultural classes like Hindi class, Indian dress workshop, Yoga class, cooking class only for the volunteers who stays in ABV house (Fees Apply)