Volunteers in Nepal needed at a Special needs children’s care center located in a suburb of Kathmandu. This center is caring for physically challenged children by providing them with the accommodation, daily care, health care, medication in the form of corrective surgery and education. Most of these children come from poor families who cannot care for them at home. Currently there are more than 40 children being cared for, most of them between 10-12 years old.
Volunteer duties include helping take care of the children’s daily activities, getting them ready for school classes, creating interesting activities, playing with them, home work assistance and helping them to learn better English and other subjects.
The following activities are practices in the center:
- Musical therapy
- Speech therapy
- Art therapy
- Volunteers required to pay US$100 for each month they volunteer at this program paid with the program cost.
Note: No prior experience is needed for general care giver however; volunteers should be caring and have a lot of patience. Those with medical/therapy training are welcome and will be placed under the local registered medical profession supervision.
Volunteer Opportunities: Disable Care programs
- Project Length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Kathmandu (KTM)
- Accommodation: Local host family / Host placement center
- Meals: Breakfast and dinner daily
- Airlines: Turkish Air, Qatar Air, Malaysian Airways, Air India, Jet Airways, Thai Air, Ethiad
- Vaccinations: Typhoid and Hep A wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Kathmandu
- Airport meet and greet in Kathmandu. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 30-40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Nepal. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet.
Extra; Not Included activities:
- UNESCO Heritage car/ bike tour full day/half day
- Hiking guide hire Horse riding
- Nepali Dance Class Nepali language learning (basic/intermediate/advance level)
- Trekking around the Himalayas.