These projects consist of several programs all run and supervised by the ABV Volunteer Coordinator. The diversity of possibilities creates an opportunity for volunteers to suggest preferences for age groups and specific personal interest to be involved in. Some of the programs you can help with.
1) Afternoon dance class lessons. Volunteers will interact with the children, give them attention and help create a safe place for them to do something positive. They assist in the dance classes, general care, cooking meals and homework guidance where needed.
2) School projects: teaching children grade 8-10, support in the library, computer classes, or offering sports activities with the kids. Schools in this township need class assistants, and afterschool project support and remedial reading tutors. Afterschool support sessions for homework guidance. Schools in South Africa 2012 (June25-July13) and (Octoeber1-5th).
Schools in South Africa are closed June/July for 3 weeks, and early October for one week.
- Project length: From 1 week to 4 weeks (** Mondays Arrival Only **)
- Arrival Airport: Port Elizabeth (Code: PLZ)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday, 7 hours per day
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Requirements: Tourist Visa.
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 17 yrs if traveling with parents
- Airlines: South African Airlines, Virgin, Delta, British Air, Emirates, KLM
- Vaccinations: Hep A, Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Airport meet and greet in Port Elizabeth airport
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 35 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8:00am - 3pm with lunch break
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to South Africa. Entry Visa. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet
|Africa / US$|
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.