These projects consist of several programs all run and supervised by the ABV Volunteer Coordinator. The diversity of possibilities creates an opportunity for volunteers to suggest preferences for age groups and specific personal interest to be involved in. Some of the programs you can help with.
1) Afternoon dance class lessons. Volunteers will interact with the children, give them attention and help create a safe place for them to do something positive. They assist in the dance classes, general care, cooking meals and homework guidance where needed.
2) School projects: teaching children grade 8-10, support in the library, computer classes, or offering sports activities with the kids. Schools in this township need class assistants, and afterschool project support and remedial reading tutors. Afterschool support sessions for homework guidance. Schools in South Africa 2012 (June25-July13) and (Octoeber1-5th).
Schools in South Africa are closed June/July for 3 weeks, and early October for one week.
- Project length: From 1 week to 4 weeks (** Mondays Arrival Only **)
- Arrival Airport: Port Elizabeth (Code: PLZ)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday, 7 hours per day
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Requirements: Tourist Visa.
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 17 yrs if traveling with parents
- Airlines: South African Airlines, Virgin, Delta, British Air, Emirates, KLM
- Vaccinations: Hep A, Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Airport meet and greet in Port Elizabeth airport
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 35 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8:00am - 3pm with lunch break
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to South Africa. Entry Visa. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet