The program is a municipal institution where they receive about 500.000 visitors yearly. The center has 200 animals of 41 species. Many of the visitors are school children coming on a school trip to learn about the animals, but also regular visitors come to the park. The program is currently going through renovations, improving and increasing the animal spaces.
A Broader View Volunteers Abroad Gap Year Projects Overseas
The volunteer can involve in different areas of the park:
- work directly with the veterinarian, making daily rounds, administer medication and vitamins and create a healthy environment for the animals.
- Feed the animals and prepare the food
- assist with the tours and conferences for groups (mostly school children in Spanish)
- assist with the tours and conferences for groups for English speaking visitors
- help in the maintenance of the park, building, painting and also cleaning- for people with experience in the health sector, they can learn how to apply injected and oral vaccinations to the animals.
-We need veterinarians, pre-veterinarians, and general volunteers.
*Volunteers need to arrive in Guatemala in the morning. Last bus to Xela departs at 3:00pm. Overnight in Guatemala city is not included in cost of program. Departure flights from Guatemala City need to be scheduled after 2:00PM.
Volunteer Opportunities: Animal Welfare Program
- Project length:From 1 to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Guatemala City (Code:GUA)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 6-8 hours per day
- Requirements: Proficiency in Spanish or Spanish Immersion Lessons
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 17 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, Spirit, Avianca, Taca
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: Host Families
- Meals: 3 per day M-F, 2 meals Saturday, no meals Sunday
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet pickup
- Orientation: Project Overview and Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Guatemala. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & health insurance. Laundry and Internet