Volunteer in Guatemala, the program is a municipal institution where they receive about 500.000 visitors yearly. The center has 200 animals of 41 species. Many of the visitors are school children coming on a school trip to learn about the animals, but also regular visitors come to the park. The program is currently going through renovations, improving and increasing the animal spaces.
The volunteer can involve in different areas of the park:
- Work directly with the veterinarian, making daily rounds, administer medication and vitamins and create a healthy environment for the animals.
- Feed the animals and prepare the food
- Assist with the tours and conferences for groups (mostly school children in Spanish)
- Assist with the tours and conferences for groups for English speaking visitors
- Help in the maintenance of the park, building, painting and also cleaning- for people with experience in the health sector, they can learn how to apply injected and oral vaccinations to the animals.
- We need veterinarians, pre-veterinarians, and general volunteers.
*Volunteers need to arrive in Guatemala in the morning. Last bus to Xela departs at 3:00pm. Overnight in Guatemala city is not included in cost of program. Departure flights from Guatemala City need to be scheduled after 2:00PM.
Volunteer Opportunities: Animal Welfare Program
- Project length:From 1 to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Guatemala City (Code:GUA)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 6-8 hours per day
- Requirements: Proficiency in Spanish or Spanish Immersion Lessons
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 17 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, Spirit, Avianca, Taca
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: Host Families
- Meals: 3 per day M-F, 2 meals Saturday, no meals Sunday
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet pickup
- Orientation: Project Overview and Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Guatemala. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & health insurance. Laundry and Internet