Nearly 25000 dogs are wandering in streets of populated Kathmandu. Many of these dogs are living in very poor condition suffering from starvation, disease and maltreatment. At the same time more 200 people dies every year due to rabies and contact with street dogs so to the animal center had been operating for more than 10 years, rescuing and sheltering the stray dogs and trying to bring down this figure into Zero. Currently the center has 60 dogs under treatment. Animal center is main focus on treating street dogs and currently main objective is focus on three major programs:
1) Animal birth control (sterilization)
2) Rabies vaccination
3) Public Awareness Program
This program could be suitable for anyone who is very animal loving and who wants to build career as a veterinary doctor. You can either volunteer as a PreVet student or post vet (non technical or technical). Interns can help in providing care, examination, field trip, treatment and assistance to the vet Dr during the surgery. On the other hand, the volunteer can participate in awareness campaign about the importance of care of animal and reporting the cruelty to the concern authority at school and local community and also taking care of the ground and painting.
No Prior experience is needed. Volunteer need to be very caring, patience and dedicated. Volunteers need to take anti- rabies vaccination and other required vaccine suggested by your GP in your home country.
- US$100 program fee paid with your program cost.
Volunteer Street Dog Care CenterOverview
- Project Length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Kathmandu (KTM)
- Accommodation: Local host family / Host placement center
- Meals: Breakfast and dinner daily
- Airlines: Turkish Air, Qatar Air, Malaysian Airways, Air India, Jet Airways, Thai Air, Ethiad
- Vaccinations: Typhoid and Hep A wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Kathmandu
- Airport meet and greet in Kathmandu. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 30-40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Nepal. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet.
Extra; Not Included activities:
- UNESCO Heritage car/ bike tour full day/half day
- Hiking guide hire Horse riding
- Nepali Dance Class Nepali language learning (basic/intermediate/advance level)
- Trekking around the Himalayas.