Volunteer Colombia, One of the big needs that Cartagena has is the care of Elderly people. Many live in deplorable conditions, extreme poverty and their health becomes worse because of their low life quality. Hence, the government and many other non-profit organisations have created or supported elderly care centres in certain areas of Cartagena. This institution is located in Olaya Herrera, a very typical neighbourhood that reflects perfectly our culture and habits.
This institution provides meals, recreation (cultural and educational activities), medical treatment and some of the therapies they might need. The elderly people that are taken in, perform different roles such as musicians in the folklore band, cooks, dancers, etc. The volunteers can help them with recreational and cultural activities. Maybe some could help them prepare the meals, feed any disabled and read for a few hours or make conversation. We need volunteers with intermediate or advanced Spanish knowledge.
In this program, the volunteer can use his/her creativity to make activities for them. The volunteers can teach them the typical dance moves from their country, do some exercise or perform any other idea they might have. This program can be combined with the medical - healthcare program since many of them need to take daily medication and therapy. Also, they frequently need to check the blood pressure, sugar level, etc.
Vacation time: Holy Week: March 29th – April 6th
Volunteer Colombia opportunities: Elderly Care Center
- Project length: From 2 weeks to 8 weeks
- Work schedule: Monday - Friday / 8 hours
- Arrival airport: Cartagena (CTG)
- Accommodation: local host family
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Airlines: Avianca, Jet Blue, Spirit, Copa, American, United
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Airport meet and greet in Cartagena.
- City tour and orientation.
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 35 - 40 hours per week.
- Weekends free for sightseeing.
- Typical work schedule can be 8:00am – 2:30pm with a break for lunch.
- Local ABV coordinator support 24/7 during placement.
- ABV Staff Airport Transfer
- Flights to Colombia. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet.