Volunteer in Guatemala at a Mother-Child Center. This shelter is a government institution for young mothers and their children. This shelter is home to 60 mothers, girls and young children. The teenage mothers and their young infants can stay here, as well as teenage girls who have suffered from sexual abuse. The girls and mothers are all under 18 years old, and the children are aged approximately 0 to 5 years old. There is a lot of emphasis on psychology, as well as learning how to be a mother.
Volunteers are much needed at this shelter. The volunteers are asked to organize their own activities. So together with the staff and ABV Volunteer's help, the volunteer has to make a plan for the time he/she will spend there. You can think of activities like crafts, music, art, sports, or something that you like or that you ́re good at. You can plan activities for the babies or for the girls, according to your preference. The volunteer foresees in his/her own supplies. Also, the shelter understaffed and always short on (economical and material) resources, you will often be on your own with the girls and children. This is a year round project. Volunteer houses are typically 830am-12pm, 230pm-430pm Monday to Friday.
Another option is to volunteer with woman in a residential care center for the elderly.
Most of the residents have no other living options. Some have been abandoned by their own family. The home provides these ladies, free of charge, a place to live, meals, clothing, medical treatment and therapy needs. Since most woman in Latin American culture are the back bone of the family, they deserve to live their life with dignity and in a happy environment. *This program can be combined with the medical projects, as volunteers are needed to provide health checks like checking blood pressures, sugar levels, administering medication and physical therapy needs.
You will help with recreational and cultural activities, help to prepare food, and feed some of the ladies, some ladies simply need people to talk to them, or read to them for a few hours. We need volunteers with strong Spanish knowledge.
*Volunteers need to arrive in Guatemala in the morning. Last bus to Xela departs at 3:00pm. Overnight in Guatemala city is not included in cost of program. Departure flights from Guatemala City need to be scheduled after 2:00PM.
Volunteer Opportunities: Woman Community Development
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year Round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Guatemala City (GUA)
- Accommodation: Local host family
- Meals: 3 per day M-F, 2 meals Saturday, no meals Sunday
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, Spirit, Avianca, Taca
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Guatemala City
- Airport meet and greet in Guatemala City. Bus tickets to Xela
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 35-40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work can be: 7:00am - 4:30pm with lunch break
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: Transfer to Guatemala City airport
- Flights to Guatemala. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet. Extra us$50 donation fee.