Volunteer in Ecuador, fundación Abuelitos was originally founded in the year 2001. Its main goal is to promote, support and realize efficient attention to senior citizens. The foundation creates concrete actions that will promote the importance of an active, worthy, healthy, participative and productive old age.
In Ecuador, the great number of senior citizens is evident on the streets. One can see that many are beggars or how they are living in a very poor economic situation. There are more than one million elderly people in Ecuador that live without social aid and suffer from abandonment of their families and society in general. The program offers services to this class of people in areas such as: physical aid/therapy, personal growth, recreation and occupational therapies, medical attention, education and various workshops, among others, that enable the elderly to greatly improve their quality of life.
Volunteers will be able to assist in all the activities planned by the foundation. It all depends on your experience, effort, interests and the capacity of your love and care for the elderly. In general, the day starts with some physical activity and a short human development workshop before sharing breakfast. Then the activities begin. For example, dancing, theater, narratives, chorus lessons and activities in the bakery and handcraft workshops. At the end of the activities, they share lunch together.
There is an average of about 100 senior citizens per day that visit the foundation between the ages of 60 -75 years old. Your help is greatly appreciated in anyway.
Volunteer Ecuador Opportunities: Elderly Care Center
- Arrival to Airport: Quito (UIO) Program starts and ends in Quito
- Project Length: 1 weeks to 12 weeks
- Project Period: Year round
- Accommodation: Host family
- Meals: breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 6 hours per day
- Daily work: 10:00am to 16:00pm
- Weekends: free to sight see, travel
- Requirements: Basic Spanish Knowledge or Spanish Immersion Available
- Age Limits: 18 to 65 years old
- Minimum Age: 12 to 17 years *IF traveling with parents or permission of parents
- Airlines: Lan Ecuador, American, United, Delta, Avianca, Taca
- Vaccinations: Routine Vaccinations, Hepatitis-A and Typhoid
- Airport meet and greet in Quito
- Host Family accommodation, 3 meals a day and laundry
- Orientation, project briefing in Quito
- Volunteer project placement 30 hour per week
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Quito. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet. Elderly Donation: US$50 added to your ABV account