This project was created in 1995 with the main objective to offer rehabilitation and integrate recreational programs through therapies with horses for children, youth, and adults with mental or physical disabilities.
Riding therapy or equine-assisted therapy and canine-assisted therapy with dogs is recognized worldwide as an effective method for physical, mental and/or emotional rehabilitation. It transmits to the patient a sense of balance, coordination, orientation and rhythm.
The movement of the horses back is used therapeutically. Equine-assisted therapy uses horses as therapeutic instruments and prepares the patient for other physiotherapeutic functions, but offers huge psychological benefits.
Volunteers will handle the horses during therapy sessions 3 or 4 people are necessary. Volunteers are more than welcome to help with feeding of the horses, preparing them for each therapy session, cleaning the horses afterwards and other general tasks during the therapy sessions. In addition, the volunteer can also help with horse-back riding lessons for the general public and in the administrative area, as well as garden maintenance. It is also possible to participate in the canine-assisted therapies.
US$180 Rehabilitation Center fee paid with your program cost (1 to 12 weeks program).
Volunteer Opportunities: Hippotherapy Program
- Arrival to Airport: Quito (UIO) Program starts and ends in Quito
- Project Length: 1 weeks to 12 weeks
- Project Period: Year round
- Accommodation: Host family
- Meals: breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 6 hours per day
- Daily work: 8:00am to 12:00pm approx children rehabilitation and from 12:00pm to 14:00pm approx horse care and feeding
- Weekends: free to sight see, travel
- Requirements: Intermediate Spanish Knowledge or Language Immersion Available
- Age Limits: 18 to 65 years old
- Minimum Age: 12 to 17 years *IF traveling with parents or permission of parents
- Airlines: Lan Ecuador, American, United, Delta, Avianca, Taca
- Vaccinations: Routine Vaccinations, Hepatitis-A and Typhoid
- Airport meet and greet in Quito
- Host Family accommodation, 3 meals a day and laundry
- Orientation, project briefing in Quito
- Volunteer project placement 30 hour per week
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Quito. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet. Hippotherapy Fee: US$180 added to your ABV account
|South America /US$|
The volunteer prices and the immersion prices are not combined, you choose from one or the other price.
|South America / US$|
|Ecuador - Spanish Immersion||1065||1340||1615||1990|
Any extra week of “accommodation and meals” will be US$150/week after week 4 until week 12, more Spanish lessons can be paid locally to the coordinator.
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.