This project was created in 1995 with the main objective to offer rehabilitation and integrate recreational programs through therapies with horses for children, youth, and adults with mental or physical disabilities.
Riding therapy or equine-assisted therapy and canine-assisted therapy with dogs is recognized worldwide as an effective method for physical, mental and/or emotional rehabilitation. It transmits to the patient a sense of balance, coordination, orientation and rhythm.
The movement of the horses back is used therapeutically. Equine-assisted therapy uses horses as therapeutic instruments and prepares the patient for other physiotherapeutic functions, but offers huge psychological benefits.
Volunteers will handle the horses during therapy sessions 3 or 4 people are necessary. Volunteers are more than welcome to help with feeding of the horses, preparing them for each therapy session, cleaning the horses afterwards and other general tasks during the therapy sessions. In addition, the volunteer can also help with horse-back riding lessons for the general public and in the administrative area, as well as garden maintenance. It is also possible to participate in the canine-assisted therapies.
US$180 Rehabilitation Center fee paid with your program cost (1 to 12 weeks program).
Volunteer Opportunities: Hippotherapy Program
- Arrival to Airport: Quito (UIO) Program starts and ends in Quito
- Project Length: 1 weeks to 12 weeks
- Project Period: Year round
- Accommodation: Host family
- Meals: breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 6 hours per day
- Daily work: 8:00am to 12:00pm approx children rehabilitation and from 12:00pm to 14:00pm approx horse care and feeding
- Weekends: free to sight see, travel
- Requirements: Intermediate Spanish Knowledge or Language Immersion Available
- Age Limits: 18 to 65 years old
- Minimum Age: 12 to 17 years *IF traveling with parents or permission of parents
- Airlines: Lan Ecuador, American, United, Delta, Avianca, Taca
- Vaccinations: Routine Vaccinations, Hepatitis-A and Typhoid
- Airport meet and greet in Quito
- Host Family accommodation, 3 meals a day and laundry
- Orientation, project briefing in Quito
- Volunteer project placement 30 hour per week
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Quito. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet. Hippotherapy Fee: US$180 added to your ABV account