Volunteering in Uganda needed in support of two health centers in the Bulenga community. These health facilities offer maternity services and diagnosis, treatment of malaria, typhoid, diarrhea, as well as provide contraceptive services, immunization for infants, antenatal care, ultrasound scan services, and HIV/AIDS counseling and testing. Volunteer will also be able to participate in health education focused on providing expectant and nursing teen mothers who visit these health centers. Main topics include family planning and reproductive health, dietary nutrition for babies, and prevention of mother to child transmission of HIV/AIDS. Weekly immunization services are provided at the health center, as well as some outreach into remote village areas.
Due to the high number of patients, many are referred to larger hospitals in the city. The two health centers rely on temporary health workers, and volunteers are very much needed to support the staff at both facilities.
Volunteer with medical training/expertise and knowledge in the medical, nursing, midwifery or public health fields (students welcome) can help by providing curative and preventive health services. This is a challenging medical placement due to lack of facilities. Volunteers need to bring their own medical scrubs, gloves, mask for personal use.
Volunteer Opportunities: maternity programs
- Project length: From 1 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Entebbe (Code: EBB)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist Visa. Medical credentials or current enrollment
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Airlines: KLM, Delta, Emirates, British Air, Qatar and United
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Malaria, Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Bulenga
- Airport meet and greet in Entebbe. Orientation tour on arrival
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 35 hours per week in the clinic
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Uganda. Entry Visa. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet (S)