Volunteer in Tanzania with a grassroots health organization based in a rural community outside of Arusha. As a volunteer you will support the home for children afflicted with HIV/AIDs, also contribute to the host based community outreach projects. The programs is helping hundreds of families living with HIV/Aids patients, and also does work to promote HIV education, health and hygiene information as well as a refuge for sick children. Working with this grassroots organization you will see how one person can truly help and change the life of someone in need.
Because of the remote location volunteers will help to distribute food and medicine when possible. Volunteers need to accompany the children to the clinic for health checks. Expect to support the children's home, outreach projects, home visits and other duties will depend on which projects the organization is working on when you are there. We do recommend you learn a few words and phrases of Swahili, which will be very helpful when dealing with the locals.
Due to the location and travel involved volunteers should budget $25 a week for local buses. Undergraduates, pre-medical and pre-nursing students are welcome. Public health and social workers are welcome also
*Volunteers need a Tourist Visa to enter Tanzania (US$100) as of 2016 you can get it at the Tanzania airport. *Once in the country all volunteers must apply for a “Volunteer Permit” is US$250. All participants in the Tanzania program must secure a permit to volunteer.
Volunteer Opportunities: HIV/AIDS Programs
- Project length: From 2 weeks to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Kilimanjaro (Code: JRO)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist Visa and Volunteer Permit
- Age Limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: KLM, Delta, Emirates, Ethiopian and Qatar
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Malaria, Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Arusha (JRO airport)
- Airport meet and greet. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Accommodation: Volunteer House
- Meals: Breakfast and dinner daily
- Flights to Tanzania. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet