Experienced professionals and medical/nursing students are placed in a public community clinic (Centro de Salud) which serves about 150-200 patients per day. The staff consist of 35 professionals in different areas of general medicine, obstetrics, gynecology, pediatrics, hospitalization, emergency ER, cardiology and lab.
Activities: As a volunteer you will rotate among the departments, charting patients, doing physicals, general checkups, blood pressures, weight/temp, cleaning wounds, and participating on daily rounds with the medical staff. Medical volunteers assist the local staff in whatever capacity they may need, such as taking medical history, checking vitals, assisting with medicine and supplies, and most common maternity and OBGYN needs.
- Proficiency in Spanish is required for all healthcare placement. This project can be combined with our Language and Cultural Immersion.
- 2-3 White scrubs required (can buy in the hospital US$35-40), white comfortable shoes or white sneakers and bring basic tools as: oximeter, stethoscope, strip thermometer, gloves, mask, cleaning blue & red pens.
- US$100 Hospital fee paid with your program cost (1 to 6 weeks program). This will help buy supplies for the hospital.
- US$200 Hospital Fee paid with your program cost (7 to 12 weeks Program)
Volunteer Medical/Nurse Opportunities
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Quito (UIO)
- Accommodation: Local host family
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Airlines: Lan Ecuador, American, United, Delta, Avianca, Taca
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Quito
- Airport meet and greet in Quito. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Quito. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet