A Broader View Volunteers thrives on the efforts of our volunteers. All of whom contribute to the current needs and ongoing health initiatives. Whether you're assisting a new mother in the hospital, giving health education to teenagers, observing surgery, your experience allows you to better understand the Ecuadorian healthcare system as well as contribute to the improvement of health conditions in the capital city of Quito.
Nurse and Medical Volunteer: Quito, Ecuador
A Broader View partners with local centers of health such as hospitals, clinics, ambulatory care and specialized care centers, such as rehabilitation and therapy centers throughout Quito. To maximize your contribution, ABV will tailor your experience based on current needs, your interests, Spanish levels, training, and amount of time that you spend with us on-site in Quito Ecuador.
Volunteers are needed in an under-funded government run health center located in a south Quito neighborhood which serves 150-200 patients per day. The health center needs volunteers with experience and medical knowledge (licensed healthcare professionals) but nursing/medical students are most welcome to apply.
Nurse and Medical Opportunities Include:
- Assist doctors with physical exams and patient check ups
- Administer vaccinations
- Assisting with minor surgeries
- Taking vital signs, checking height, weight and blood pressure
- Mainly general medicine needs with focus on maternity/OBGYN
- Hospital fee of $100 (1-6 weeks) $200 (7-12 week placements)
Spanish proficiency is recommended, but not required by ABV Volunteers. However, volunteers traveling to Quito will find having Spanish comprehension will enhance interactions with medical staff, patients, and their host families. This program is suitable for licensed doctors and nurses, physician assistants, EMT trained volunteers as well as currently enrolled medical and nurse students.
Volunteer Medical/Nurse Opportunities
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Quito (UIO)
- Accommodation: Local host family
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Airlines: LaTam, American, United, Delta, Avianca, Taca, Copa
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Quito
- Airport meet and greet in Quito. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Quito. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet