Volunteer in Ecuador, this is a public hospital that offers the best instrumentation and technology of all public hospitals in Quito. The hospital specializes in providing dental health care services. Within the hospital is the general dental area with two different patient assistance rooms and has there dentists. In the near future, the hospital will be expanding the number of patient rooms in order to serve many more people.
The patients that receive the services provided by the hospital have very low incomes and cannot afford to go to private clinics, or more expensive dentists. They come from both far and away in order to get the appropriate attention they need. The services given by the is free, as well as all medications and materials a patient may need after being seen. Normally, the hospital sees anywhere between 50 - 100 patients each day, Monday through Friday.
The following services are provided to patients: general dentistry, endodontics, orthodontics, and maxilofacial consultations and surgery.
The work of a volunteer involves: writing down medical history, assisting the dentist when necessary during a patient visit, assistance and observation for maxilofacial consultations, and aiding with medicine and supplies. Any volunteer in this position will gain valuable experience in this area of health care.
US$180 Hospital fee paid with your program cost (1 to 12 weeks program). This will help buy supplies for the hospital.
Volunteer Ecuador Opportunities: Dental Program
- Arrival to Airport: Quito (UIO) Program starts and ends in Quito
- Project Length: 1 weeks to 12 weeks
- Project Period: Year round
- Accommodation: Host family
- Meals: breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 6 hours per day
- Daily work schedule: 8:00am to 13:00pm
- Weekends: free to sightseeing, travel
- Requirements: Intermediate Spanish Knowledge
- Age Limits: 18 to 65 years old
- Airlines: Lan Ecuador, American, United, Delta, Avianca, Taca
- Vaccinations: Routine Vaccinations, Hepatitis-A and Typhoid
- Airport meet and greet in Quito
- Host Family accommodation, 3 meals a day and laundry
- Orientation, project briefing in Quito
- Volunteer project placement 30 hour per week
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Quito. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet. Extra Donation US$180 to hospital