Volunteering in Ghana Poor health conditions and poverty is a vicious cycle seen in many developing countries. Poverty causes poor health in that without proper resources, treatable diseases such as diarrhea, malaria, tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, and others contribute to disability and mortality within Ghana. Given the limited resources it is difficult for the hardworking staff to provide basic health care for everyone in the area.
Volunteers with medical training, or currently enrolled medical and nursing students will support the local Health Center in Kasoa (Buduburam community) , and also be part of the public health team outreach & research projects which travels and conducts health talks to the students at district schools. This very busy, under-staffed Health Center provides general outpatient care, inpatient delivery care and community health outreach education. The topics of these talks include symptoms, treatment, and prevention of malaria, gastro intestinal diseases, hypertension, HIV/AIDS, diarrhea and more.
A volunteer or intern will get the opportunity to observe and shadow the nurses and doctor. Your hands on support work will depend on your qualifications, and more importantly the needs of the clinic. Volunteers will be instructed to bring their own medical supplies (gloves, mask, scrubs and donations).
Volunteer Opportunities: Medical programs
- Project Length: From 1 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Accra (Code: ACC)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 7 hours per day
- Requirements: Medical credentials/current enrollment in graduate school.
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Airlines: British Air, Delta, United, KLM, Lufthansa
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Malaria, Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Airport meet and greet in Accra airport
- Monday to Friday volunteering 35 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8:00am – 4:00pm with breaks
- Support: Local Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Ghana. Entry Visa. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet