Volunteers support the work at a local health clinic or the regional hospital. Health care volunteer placements are open to all professionals including doctors, physicians assistants, nurses and EMT. As a medical volunteer you will work with local staff in support of the health care efforts. There is a wide variety of cases but disease such as malaria, HIV/Aids, tuberculosis and syphilis, as well as childbirth/maternity needs are most common.
Volunteers with medical training may participate in direct patient care such as diagnosing, injections, IV starts, maternity needs, checking vitals, changing bandages and lab work. Nursing and medical students are welcome and assist with tasks like dressing wounds, record and immunization chart keeping, helping dispense medications, helping to screen and organize patients and assisting with administrative needs or outreach project.
- Volta placements transportation cost is $180 to be added to your invoice. This is a 4-5 hour journey which may include local bus/lake crossing weather dependent
Volunteer Opportunities: Medical Programs
- Project Length: From 2 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Accra (Code: ACC)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist Visa. Ground transportation cost $180
- Age Limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: British Air, Delta, United, KLM, Lufthansa
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Malaria, Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: Home Stay or onsite in Orphanage
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet. Overnight in Accra.
- Orientation: Project Overview and Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Ghana. Entry Visa. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet