Volunteer in Guatemala there are networks of public health centers offering free of charge care. One of these centers is located in the town of Xela. Volunteer in an outpatient environment which caters to poor families living in Xela. Spanish speaking volunteers with a health back ground (medical/nursing students, EMT) are welcome. Patients see vary between 200-300 per day.
Medical volunteering will allow you to give patient checkups, examining babies, taking weights, checking vitals, and shadowing the local medical staff. We need volunteers with Intermediate Spanish knowledge.*This program can be combined with Language Immersion classes.
*Volunteers need to arrive in Guatemala in the morning. Last bus to Xela departs at 3:00pm. Overnight in Guatemala city is not included in cost of program. Departure flights from Guatemala City need to be scheduled after 2:00PM.
Volunteer opportunities health care projects:
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year Round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Guatemala City (GUA)
- Requirements: Intermediate Spanish or Spanish lessons in country, US$80 donation fees.
- Accommodation: Local Host Family
- Meals: 3 per day M-F, 2 meals Saturday, no meals Sunday
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, Spirit, Avianca, Taca
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Guatemala City
- Airport meet and greet in Guatemala City.
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 35-40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work can be: 7:00am - 4:30pm with lunch break
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: Transfer to Guatemala City airport
- Flights to Guatemala. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet