Volunteer in Nepal, this program is recommended for trained professionals, dental students and qualified dental hygienists. Dental volunteers are based in a large dental hospital in Kathmandu which focuses services on the poor, marginalized and destitute people of the community.
Volunteers will work under the supervision of local registered dentist. Different types of treatment can include scaling, fillings, RCT, crowns, dentures, orthodontic, periodontal, surgical extraction which are a common daily treatment at the hospital. Volunteers will be also be part of community outreach work. Planned visits to local schools, orphanages, monasteries to promote oral health and hygiene practices and pass out donations. Volunteers will show children how to properly brush their teeth and give oral health check-ups.
Most Nepali people have limited understanding of safe dental practices, and oral hygiene standards in Nepal are very low. Dental treatment is also considered very expensive in Nepal. People are very less concerned about the dental hygiene which results in various sever dental problems.
Volunteer Opportunities: Dentist Programs
- Project Length: 1 or 2 weeks placements
- Project dates: Year round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Kathmandu (KTM)
- Accommodation: Local host family
- Meals: Breakfast and dinner daily
- Airlines: Turkish Air, Qatar Air, Malaysian Airways, Air India, Jet Airways, Thai Air, Ethiad
- Vaccinations: Typhoid and Hep A wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Kathmandu
- Airport meet and greet in Kathmandu. Next day orientation and city tour
- 30-40 hours per week including community outreach visits.
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Must be sudlicensed in your home country. Dental students/Pre-dental can join the dental internship.
- Medical scrubs (white preferred) or lab jacket. Basic examination kit: mirror, probe, periodontal probe, tweezers, gloves
- $200 supply/donation fee for all dental placements. This extra fee is collected during the final payment. Will be used to organize 2-3 dental outreach visits, for dental supplies and for local dental support on outreach days.
Note: It is recommended all the volunteers to take Nepali language class which includes Nepali dental terms and help in effective communication during the placement with the staff and patient.
- Flights to Nepal. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet
Extra- Not Included activities:
- UNESCO Heritage car/ bike tour full day/half day
- Hiking guide hire Horse riding
- Nepali Dance Class Nepali language learning (basic/intermediate/advance level)
- Trekking around the Himalayas.