Volunteer in a dental clinic in Kathmandu. Nepali people oral hygiene is much poorer than the developed nation. People are very less concerned about the dental hygiene which results in various sever dental problems. Dental treatment is also consider as a very expensive treatment.
Volunteers will get some hands-on opportunities and also be able to observe and shadow the Dentist/trainer. Volunteers can participate in any dental health campaign and programs whenever the hospital has one. Volunteers will work under the supervision of local registered dentist. Different types of treatment can include scaling, fillings, RCT, crowns, dentures, orthodontic, periodontal, surgical extraction which are a common daily treatments at the hospital.
At the end of the placement, hospital will issue evaluation report or certificate for the student for their time they spend in that particular dental hospital/clinic.
Program requirement: Must be enrolled in dental course in your home country. Pre-dental students are welcome to come and shadow and offer non evasive procedure support.
- 2 or 3 White scrubs required (can buy in the local hospital US$35-40), white comfortable shoes or white sneakers and bring basic tools.
- Dental volunteers required to pay US$100 for each month they volunteer, for administrative fee for the Kathmandu hospital/clinic. This extra fee is collected by ABV during the final payment this is for all health related placements.
Note: It is recommended all the volunteers to take Nepali language class which includes Nepali dental terms and help in effective communication during the placement with the staff and patient. This placement required 30-40 minute of travelling everyday from host family to the placement.
Volunteer Opportunities: Dentist Programs
- Project Length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Kathmandu (KTM)
- Accommodation: Local host family
- Meals: Breakfast and dinner daily
- Airlines: Turkish Air, Qatar Air, Malaysian Airways, Air India, Jet Airways, Thai Air, Ethiad
- Vaccinations: Typhoid and Hep A wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Kathmandu
- Airport meet and greet in Kathmandu. Next day orientation and city tour
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 30-40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Nepal. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet
Extra- Not Included activities:
- UNESCO Heritage car/ bike tour full day/half day
- Hiking guide hire Horse riding
- Nepali Dance Class Nepali language learning (basic/intermediate/advance level)
- Trekking around the Himalayas.