Volunteers with professional credentials, as well as currently enrolled in medical and nursing school students are welcome at this hospital which specializes in natal care. The hospital is located in Moshi and approximately 15-20 minutes walk from the volunteer accommodations.
The hospital sees about 60 to 100 out patients daily. Only maternity ward patients stay overnight. This hospital sees about 75-80 births each month. Pregnant patients come to the prenatal department for regular check ups before and after delivery they are being given counseling of family planning and how to take care of their baby. There is a pediatric department in the health center where children under 5 years old are taken care. There are more than 30 child patients every day.
The hospital offers the following services; antenatal clinic, labor ward and delivery, family planning, vaccinations, out patient department and TB clinic. Hours are Monday to Friday 8:00am-2:00PM. Volunteers need to be pro-active in this placement. There are lots of things to do and learn but you have to actively ask and look for them. Volunteers should expect the slow working rhythm and the total absence of timetables, which is common in Africa. The most common diseases are malaria, tuberculosis, pneumonia, hypertension, diabetes, diarrhea and vomiting, skin diseases. Volunteers may be involved with giving vaccinations, taking blood samples, assisting in deliveries and in providing health checks. Home visits may be part of the volunteer experience also. * Green or white medical scrubs are required, or white lab jacket for daily use.
*Volunteers need a Tourist Visa to enter Tanzania (US$100) as of 2016 you can get it at the Tanzania airport. *Once in the country all volunteers must apply for a “Volunteer Permit” is US$250. All participants in the Tanzania program must secure a permit to volunteer.
** Hospital administration fee of $70 per month is added for all medical placements
Volunteer Opportunities: Maternity Programs
- Project length: From 2 weeks to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Kilimanjaro (Code: JRO)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 6 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist Visa and Volunteer Permit
- Age Limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: KLM, Delta, Emirates, Ethiopian and Qatar
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Malaria, Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: Hostel in Moshi, shared accommodations/bath
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch box and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet by ABV Staff
- Orientation: Project Overview and Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Tanzania. Entry Visa. Volunteer Permit. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet. Swahili lessons (US$8 per hour)