Volunteer at a busy community clinic in the Chelston area of Lusaka. Experienced health care professionals as well as medical/nursing students are welcome to support the in- patient services at the clinic. Patient count can vary from day to day. However volunteers will have a physician to shadow and work with. Volunteers need to bring their own medical equipment, gloves, lab coat, medical scrubs and appropriate shoes. As a medical/nurse/dental volunteer you should expect to shadow, as well as have some hands on work. Expect to be part of a team. These program are as much about learning about universal health care, as it is to offer hands on assistance to the local medical staff who you will be working with.
All volunteers are required to pay US$70 administrative fee for clinical placement. This extra fee is collected and paid locally to the ABV staff in Lusaka.
Medical Professionals and Medical/Nursing Students: Pain Management, basic nursing care for terminally ill patients, teaching primary care givers (family) nursing procedures, counseling, HIV education and information and possible job creation.
Volunteer Opportunities: Health Care programs
- Project Length: From 1 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Lusaka (Code: LUN)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist Visa
- Age Limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: South African Air, Ethiopian, Emirates, KLM and Delta
- Vaccinations: Typhoid, Malaria Medication, Hep A wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Airport meet and greet in Lusaka airport
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 35 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work vary day to day, Expect 6-7 hour work days
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Zambia. Entry Visa. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet
|Africa / US$|
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.