Volunteer at a school project which supports orphans and provides education and food to poor local children. The school was founded as a result of the increasing inequality and privation of the plight of the child in accessing basic education and care in rural areas outside of Accra.
The orphanage school presently has 60 children, ranging from age 3 to 15, attending every day. This is a year round project. A feeding program has been established to provide a hot lunch every day. The school levels range from pre-school through grade 6. School hours start from 7am to 3.30pm.
Volunteers will teach English classes focusing on basic alphabet, athematic and also be involved in after school fun activities, sports, arts and crafts and other games with the kids. Volunteer will actively assist with the feeding program helping to make and distribute meals to the children. The basic aim is to offer assistance to encourage and inspire less privileged but intelligent children in Ghana to stay in school, and assist them to lift themselves out of poverty.
Volunteer Opportunities: Orphanage Teaching Program
- Project Length: From 1 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Accra (Code: ACC)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 7 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist Visa. Expect rural living conditions
- Age Limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: British Air, Delta, United, KLM, Lufthansa
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Malaria, Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Airport meet and greet in Accra airport
- Monday to Friday volunteering 35 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 7:00am – 3:30pm
- Support: Local Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Ghana. Entry Visa. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet