Volunteer at a very special orphanage located in a Liberian Refugee Camp in Buduburam, Ghana (about 30 miles from Accra). The refugee settlement was established in 1990 to receive asylum seekers, mainly children, fleeing from armed conflict in Liberia. Women and children account for over 65% of the refugee population. A very large percentage of the population, especially the vulnerable groups, including women, children, elderly, disabled, sick, etc, are unable to support themselves. The general standard of living at the settlement is below the poverty line.The orphanage school presently has 60 children ranging from 3-15 years old.
The orphanage International projects aim to lift people out of poverty by:
- Promoting education and reducing illiteracy
- Helping to eradicate child labor
- Promoting HIV/AIDS awareness
- Focusing on children's self-confidence to improve their ability and capacity and equally important the keys to their own satisfaction
- Promoting gender equality
This is a year round project. A feeding program has been established to provide a decent lunch every day. The school levels range from pre-school through grade 6. School hours start from 7am to 3.30pm. Volunteers will teach English classes focusing on basic alphabet and math. Expect to be involved in after school fun activities, sports, arts and crafts and other games with the kids. Volunteer will actively assist with the feeding program helping to make and distribute meals to the children. The basic aim is to offer assistance to encourage and inspire less privileged but intelligent children in Ghana to stay in school, and assist them to lift themselves out of poverty.
- Project Length: From 1 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Accra (Code: ACC)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 7 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist Visa. Expect rural living conditions
- Age Limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: British Air, Delta, United, KLM, Lufthansa
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Malaria, Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Airport meet and greet in Accra airport
- Monday to Friday volunteering 35 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 7:00am – 3:30pm
- Support: Local Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Ghana. Entry Visa. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet