Volunteer in Ghana at a residential home for 30 children. Come and work with children that come from a variety of situations including loss of one or both parents, physical and sexual abuse, extreme poverty, and more suffering than many of us can imagine.
Most of the children range between 11-14years old. Many of these children have been denied the chance at an education as well as the basics for survival-food and shelter. The orphanage strives to provide a better future for some of the most vulnerable children in Ghana by providing love, food and an education.
As a volunteer, you will primarily assist with the daily care of the kids; including helping with meal preparation, playing games, teaching songs, reading activities, creating arts & crafts projects and sharing your affection and attention with these wonderful children.
Many volunteers also get involved in repairs and painting as the facilities are in constant need of upkeep. Come prepared with ideas and be a creative self-starter who can handle situations where schedules do not exist.
Volunteers that chose to work at the orphanage will be tasked with mentorship, counseling, cleaning, and various other tasks. Most volunteers that chose to work at the orphanage also volunteer at the primary school.
The orphanage International projects aim to lift people out of poverty by:
- Promoting education and reducing illiteracy
- Helping to eradicate child labor
- Promoting HIV/AIDS awareness
- Focusing on children's self-confidence to improve their ability and capacity and equally important the keys to their own satisfaction
- Promoting gender equality
This is a year round project. A feeding program has been established to provide a decent lunch every day. The school levels range from pre-school through grade 6. School hours start from 7am to 3.30pm. Volunteers will teach English classes focusing on basic alphabet and math. Expect to be involved in after school fun activities, sports, arts and crafts and other games with the kids. Volunteer will actively assist with the feeding program helping to make and distribute meals to the children. The basic aim is to offer assistance to encourage and inspire less privileged but intelligent children in Ghana to stay in school, and assist them to lift themselves out of poverty.
- Project Length: From 1 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Accra (Code: ACC)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 7 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist Visa. Expect semi-rural living conditions
- Age Limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: British Air, Delta, United, KLM, Lufthansa
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Malaria, Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: Volunteer house
- Airport meet and greet in Accra airport
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8:00am – 4:00pm with breaks
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet by ABV Staff
- Orientation: Project Overview and Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Ghana. Entry Visa. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet