Volunteer Guatemala. At this program, poor children suffering from malnutrition are provided a safe haven, medical support, education, food and a place to recover. Most of the children are under 6yrs old and come from all over Guatemala for care. The project focus is care and support, feeding, health checks, and monitoring. This program is also recommended for pre-medical students and those interested in a medical career path.
Activities: feeding babies, changing diapers, helping with lessons in the pre-school, teaching basic English to kindergarten, help preparing lessons, playing games with the kids in the afternoons, organizing & support the sport of karate, ballet, football and weekly workshops.
*Volunteers need to arrive in Guatemala in the morning. Last bus to Xela departs at 3:00pm. Overnight in Guatemala city is not included in cost of program. Departure flights from Guatemala City need to be scheduled after 2:00PM.
- Project length: From 4 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year Round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Guatemala City (GUA)
- Accommodation: Local host family
- Meals: 3 per day M-F, 2 meals Saturday, no meals Sunday
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, Spirit, Avianca, Taca
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Guatemala City
- Airport meet and greet in Guatemala City. Bus tickets to Xela
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 35-40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work can be: 7:00am - 4:30pm with lunch break
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: Transfer to Guatemala City airport
- Flights to Guatemala. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet