Volunteers needed to help at a government orphanage in the center of Xela. There are always between 60 and 100 children, ages 0-15 years old, who are abandoned, orphans or placed out of their homes.
Volunteers assist in the classrooms in the orphanage, with the teacher in charge. The morning shift is from 8-12AM, and the afternoon from 2:30-4:30PM. The afternoon classes have a bit more space for playing and recreational activities. Volunteers can organize games, sports and introduce other activities like dance, yoga, and arts and crafts.
A Broader View Volunteers Abroad Gap Year Projects Overseas
Due to the lack of adequate number of staff onsite volunteers for this project need to be pro-active, willing to work with limited direction, and come with a can-do, enthusiastic attitude. ABV Coordinators will help with direction and suggestions, but this program needs enthused participants.
*Volunteers need to arrive in Guatemala in the morning. Last bus to Xela departs at 3:00pm. Overnight in Guatemala city is not included in cost of program. Departure flights from Guatemala City need to be scheduled after 2:00PM.
Volunteer Opportunities: Children Care Center
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year Round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Guatemala City (GUA)
- Requirements: Intermediate Spanish or Spanish lessons in country, US$80 donation fees.
- Accommodation: Local Host Family
- Meals: 3 per day M-F, 2 meals Saturday, no meals Sunday
- Program starts and ends in Guatemala City
- Airport meet and greet in Guatemala City. Bus tickets to Xela
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 35-40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work can be: 7:00am - 4:30pm with lunch break
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: Transfer to Guatemala City airport
- Flights to Guatemala. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet