Volunteers needed to help at a government orphanage in the center of Xela. There are always between 60 and 100 children, ages 0-15 years old, who are abandoned, orphans or placed out of their homes.
Volunteers assist in the classrooms in the orphanage, with the teacher in charge. The morning shift is from 8-12AM, and the afternoon from 2:30-4:30PM. The afternoon classes have a bit more space for playing and recreational activities. Volunteers can organize games, sports and introduce other activities like dance, yoga, and arts and crafts.
A Broader View Volunteers Abroad Gap Year Projects Overseas
Due to the lack of adequate number of staff onsite volunteers for this project need to be pro-active, willing to work with limited direction, and come with a can-do, enthusiastic attitude. ABV Coordinators will help with direction and suggestions, but this program needs enthused participants.
*Volunteers need to arrive in Guatemala in the morning. Last bus to Xela departs at 3:00pm. Overnight in Guatemala city is not included in cost of program. Departure flights from Guatemala City need to be scheduled after 2:00PM.
Volunteer Opportunities: Children Care Center
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year Round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Guatemala City (GUA)
- Requirements: Intermediate Spanish or Spanish lessons in country, US$80 donation fees.
- Accommodation: Local Host Family
- Meals: 3 per day M-F, 2 meals Saturday, no meals Sunday
- Program starts and ends in Guatemala City
- Airport meet and greet in Guatemala City. Bus tickets to Xela
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 35-40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work can be: 7:00am - 4:30pm with lunch break
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: Transfer to Guatemala City airport
- Flights to Guatemala. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet
|Central America / US$|
|Guatemala - Spanish Immersion||995||1290||1530||1790|
Any extra week of “accommodation and meals” will be US$150/week after week 4 until week 12, more Spanish lessons can be paid locally to the coordinator.
|Central America / US$|
The volunteer prices and the immersion prices are not combined, you choose from one or the other price.
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.