Volunteer in Ecuador, this is a public kindergarten that offers education, nutrition, health and affection to 220 children from 4 to 6 years old distributed within 8 classrooms. Most of children come from poor families. It is located inside of the Itchimbía Park in Quito’s central area. The most important skill needed to work with these children is patience.
The volunteers have the chance to work with the teachers as an assistant during the classes. On Thursdays and Fridays they will assist the English Teacher and on Monday and Wednesday (this can change each semester), they can assist the Music Teacher, or another subject. Other activities may also include the creation of didactic material, help during meal time, and recreational activities with the children.
Working with these children is a fulfilling position. Many of the children make strong bonds with those they work with very quickly, so it is important that you do not take them for granted and take full responsibility for your actions, words, and work ethic. It is advised that you also tell the children how long you will be working with them and when you will be leaving in anticipation so that they do not get let down when you leave.
- Arrival to Airport: Quito (UIO) Program starts and ends in Quito
- Project Length: 1 weeks to 12 weeks
- Project Period: September-June
- Accommodation: Host family
- Meals: breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 4 hours per day, can combine with other program
- Daily work: 8:00am to 12:00pm
- Weekends: free to sight see, travel
- Requirements: intermediate Spanish Knowledge
- Age Limits: 18 to 65 years old
- Minimum Age: 12 to 17 years *IF traveling with parents
- Airlines: Lan Ecuador, American, United, Delta, Avianca, Taca
- Vaccinations: Routine Vaccinations, Hepatitis-A and Typhoid
- Airport meet and greet in Quito
- Host Family accommodation, 3 meals a day and laundry
- Orientation, project briefing in Quito
- Volunteer project placement 30 hour per week
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Quito. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet. Extra Donation US$50 per month