Volunteer in Tanzania The orphanage located in Arusha was founded in 2009, with the goal of housing orphans, offering them not only shelter but also education.
The center is home to 25 children, ranging from the ages 4yr-15yrs old. It is run by loving dedicated staff, who have opened their hearts to these vulnerable kids and orphans. They provide shelter, food, love and education to orphans, abandoned and street children of the surrounding community. Currently the orphanage has many difficulties concerning the children’s education due to the lack of resources, so your support is fundamental for the center’s survival.
As a volunteer, you will participate in the children’s education and also in the management of the orphanage. You will be able to support the orphanage by providing an extra set of hands with the daily chores; cooking, meal preparation, washing clothes. Activities with the children include reading books, helping with homework, creating games, sports or coaching, teaching songs, dance or other past times. It is very important for you to have a lot of patience, an open mind and a sense of adventure. We do recommend volunteers to learn a few words and phrases of Swahili, which will be very helpful with the children.
Moreover, you will take part in the development of the children’s database with their curriculum and pictures. You can also participate in the orphanage’s webpage definition and development. Also you will also be able to launch crowdfunding campaigns for fundraising the orphanage’s activities and its children’s education.
We recommend you to bring your laptop and camera if you want to take part in the website development. Finally, donations of school material will be more than welcome! You will stay in a volunteer house with other international volunteers. Travel from the volunteer accommodation to the orphanage is about 10-20 minutes bus ride each direction.
Visa/Permit Notes: “Volunteer Visa” is required for all program participants. The cost is US$250. Tanzania embassy information.
- Project length: From 1 week to 8 weeks
- Project start date: Projects begin every Tuesday. Arrival Sunday or Monday
- Airport Arrival: Kilimanjaro (Code: JRO)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 6-8 hours per day
- Requirements: CTA (Carrying on Temporary Assignment Pass)
- Age Limits: Minimum 18 years or older for solo travelers
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: KLM, Delta, Emirates, Ethiopian and Qatar
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Malaria (Malarone pills recommended), Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Arusha (JRO airport)
- Airport meet and greet. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 30-40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Accommodation: Volunteer House
- Meals: Breakfast and dinner daily
Flights to Tanzania. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet. Sightseeing.