Volunteers in Tanzania support three children's centers located outside of Arusha. The centers are home to approximately 20 children, ranging in age from 4yr-15yrs old. The centers are run by loving dedicated staff who have opened their hearts to these vulnerable kids and orphans. They provide shelter, food, love and education to orphans, abandoned and street children of surrounding community.
Volunteers support the orphanage by providing an extra set of hands with the daily chores; cooking, meal preparation, washing clothes. Activities with the children including reading books, helping with homework, creating games, sports or coaching, teaching songs, dance or other past times. Volunteers should have a lot of patience, an open mind and a sense of adventure. We do recommend volunteers to learn a few words and phrases of Swahili, which will be very helpful with the children. Volunteer housing is provided at all orphanages.
Visa/Permit Notes: “Volunteer Visa” is required for all program participants. The cost is US$250. Tanzania embassy information.
- Project length: From 1 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Kilimanjaro (Code: JRO)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist Visa and Volunteer Permit
- Age Limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: KLM, Delta, Emirates, Ethiopian and Qatar
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Malaria, Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Arusha (JRO airport)
- Airport meet and greet. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Accommodation: Volunteer House
- Meals: Breakfast and dinner daily
- Flights to Tanzania. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet