This is a non-profit medical institution whose mission is to improve health, education and welfare of children and low income people in Quito; through training, low-cost health programs and promotion of socio-economic assistance to help solve the problems of the neediest.
Volunteers have the chance to rotate in the different areas of the program: 2 weeks each: General Medicine, Rehabilitation, Odontology, Clinical Laboratory, Gynecology, Permanent First Aid Course. The main role is to observe, listen and learn from the professionals.There are enough doctors and nurses to perform the medical practices, therefore the main role is to out shadow them.
A Broader View Volunteers Abroad Gap Year Projects Overseas
Volunteers could assist doctors or nurses after a week of observation. This program requires volunteers, between 18 to 60 years old with an intermediate knowledge of Spanish or you can take Spanish Lessons Immersion Lessons while in country.
First Aid Course before the start of the program, given by a health care professional with experience. Participants will learn: take vital signs, blood sampling, suturing wounds and more (theory and practice). The course is optional, an extra unique cost of $50
- Medical assistance at the Health Center general tasks depending on the Station where you will be working and also depending on your interests.
- Volunteers will have the chance to choose the station depending on interests, experience, availability and also depending on the language skills.
- 2 to 4 White scrubs required, white comfortable shoes or white sneakers and bring basic tools as: oximeter, stethoscope, strip thermometer, gloves, mask, cleaning blue & red pens (to use and donate).
- Add US$180 Hospital fee paid with your program cost.
Internships: Extra US$100 for doctor supervision and paper work.
- Certificate at the end of the program issued by the Medical Foundation
Volunteer Pre Medical/Nurse Opportunities
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Quito (UIO)
- Accommodation: Local host family
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Airlines: Lan Ecuador, American, United, Delta, Avianca, Taca
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Quito
- Airport meet and greet in Quito. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 30-40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Quito. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet
|South America /US$|
The volunteer prices and the immersion prices are not combined, you choose from one or the other price.
|South America / US$|
|Ecuador - Spanish Immersion||1065||1340||1615||1990|
Any extra week of “accommodation and meals” will be US$150/week after week 4 until week 12, more Spanish lessons can be paid locally to the coordinator.
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.