This institution was born in December 1984 with the authorization of the Ministry of social well-being; the institution focuses its work in the areas of: Physical therapies, technical help, occupational therapy, language therapy, medical services, and protection of the rights in benefit of the disabled persons
Basic in Spanish is required for all healthcare placement. This project can be combined with our Medical Language Immersion.
- 2-3 White scrubs required, white comfortable shoes or white sneakers and bring basic tools as: oximeter, stethoscope, strip thermometer, gloves, mask, cleaning blue & red pens.
- US$100 Hospital fee paid with your program cost (1 to 6 weeks program). This will help buy supplies for the hospital.
- US$200 Hospital Fee paid with your program cost (7 to 12 weeks Program)
The institution treats different medical conditions by using different physical and mechanic tools previous to a medical evaluation.
- Therapeutic pool
- Hidrotherapy, among others
Through this therapy, it is possible to achieve the functional improvement of the shoulders; wrist and hand so that the patient can develop the everyday activities such as getting dressed, feed himself, etc.
- Training for the everyday activities
- Vocational training
- Movement exercises, strength recovery, relaxing techniques, early stimulation
This therapy improves the language Development so that the patient can express needs and emotions; also, the auditive perception of the patient is improved.
- Comprehension, expressions
- Help with the homework
- Language and communication therapy
- Hearing problems
Help is given to the patients who use any orthopedic tool
Besides the services in the area of therapies, this center offers the following medical services:
- General Medicine
- Dental care unit
- Psychological pedagogy
Volunteer Premedical Opportunities
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Quito (UIO)
- Accommodation: Local host family
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Airlines: Lan Ecuador, American, United, Delta, Avianca, Taca
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid www.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Quito
- Airport meet and greet in Quito. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Quito. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation.
Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet